Saturday 18 January 2014

Planned route

I don't like to be too pinned down either to dates or places when I travel, but I obviously need to have a rough idea of where I am headed !!  So I have drawn up a rough route, which may or may not eventuate, but at least it gives people (and me !) an idea of where I will be, and when.  So I have printed out a rough written route below, along with a guesstimate of the dates, and also put the route into Google Maps here if anyone is interested https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zGvUaQ0oyrdc.kgiaXSVARd4c  

I must admit I am already having second thoughts about Newfoundland - I am sure it is a great place to visit, but it is starting to look like an awfully long way across Canada, and one just can't go everywhere on a trip like this.  I am also finding more people to see and things to do if I went down through the middle of the US - Maybe Indianapolis to see the Speedway and Museum there ?  And then many of my ex work colleagues in Arkansas and northern Texas.  Will make that decision later !!!

Anyway, if you were wondering where I will be and when, I hope this helps.

Planned route for 2014 and early 2015.

Car departs Brisbane by sea approximately 20th February.
Car arrives Seattle, Washington approx. 15th April.
2 weeks in Anacortes, Washington, getting ready for trip.  Janet due to arrive Seattle about 2nd May or so.

Anacortes, Washington
Ferry to Victoria, Vancouver Island   5th MAY 2014
Port Hardy, Vancouver Island
Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, BC
Ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) to Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Gustavus, Haines.  (Get off ferry for a day or two in each place before continuing)
Tour Alaska dependent on weather – Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, JUNE
Dalton Hway to Prudhoe Bay (Flight to Barrow or Kaktovik for Polar Bears ?)
Top of the World Hway to Dawson
Dempster Hway to Inuvik
Whitehorse
Dawson Creek
Prince George
Vavenby  (Visit Ed & Sarah Shook)
Blind Bay (Visit Bill & Debra Browne)
Banff
Jasper
Edmonton
Prince Albert
Thompson    JULY 2014
(Train to Churchill to see polar bears and swim with Beluga whales in Hudson Bay)
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Newfoundland ??  Nova Scotia ??  Do more research to see if worthwhile / where to go.
Follow Appalachian Trail south to Georgia
New Orleans
Houston (Stop for a couple of weeks with friends. Retirement party ??!!)  AUGUST
San Diego
Down Baja Peninsula to La Paz
Ferry to Mazatlan, Mexico
Mexico City (Visit Trinidad Morales)
Oaxaca
Tapachula
Guatemala
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rica (Stop to learn more Spanish and explore ?)
Panama   
Ship car from Colon to Cartagena Columbia. Fly or sail to Cartagena to meet car.   SEPTEMBER 2014
Maracaibo Venezuela
Cucuta
Bogata Columbia
Quito Ecuador              OCTOBER 2014
Guayaquil
Piura, Peru
Lima
Cuzco (Machu Pichu)
La Paz, Bolivia
Antofagasta, Chile            NOVEMBER 2014  
Santiago
Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego    DECEMBER 2014 / JANUARY 2015
(Cruise to Antarctic ?)    
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rio de Janeiro

Ship car from one of these last ports, dependent on how it is going.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Giles
    I've just started to catch up on your adventure. I absolutely love that google map of where you're going. Sensational. Such fantastic names and images. Especially Churchill in Canada. Karen and I always wanted to go there.
    Much vicarious living to be had over coming months.
    Stay safe and have a fantastic time.
    Peter 'n Karen

    ReplyDelete