Monday 30 June 2014

0053 30th June - Calgary to Garner Lake

 Our first night in a hotel since we left Anacortes, and the first night on our trip when it has absolutely poured with rain and blown a gale.  But the hotel stay tonight was planned whatever the weather – We wanted a comfortable room with showers etc so Janet could repack after 2 months on the road, and at least be reasonably clean and tidy when she got on the plane to fly back to Australia ! (Those with yachts and similar vagrant lifestyles will be well aware that sometimes it takes more than one shower to get all the grime out !!).  Anyway, with the gales blowing outside in Calgary, it was nice to know we had made the correct choice, whatever the reason ! 

After a delicious cooked breakfast (instead of the usual cereal, yoghurt and a banana, we set off to the airport, trying to think if there was anything of Janet’s tucked away in a corner of the van that we had forgotten about !  I dropped her at the airport rather than going in because parking can be a tremendous hassle when your car is over 2 metres tall – In Seattle, when I collected Janet back in early May, it had taken me almost an hour to find an “overheight” car park into which Troopie would fit !  Anyway, based on texts as she checked in, all went fairly smoothly, despite the need to go through US customs to get to LA from Calgary / Vancouver, and hopefully as I write this blog in my evening campsite (on the day it occurred, surprise, surprise !) she is safely in LA and about to get in the air on the Qantas flight to Brisbane.  We have had a great trip, and seen so many amazing things and places, and met so many great people, and it is certainly more enjoyable when you have someone beside you to share all the sights, sounds, highs and lows of such a journey.

Now, with Alaska over, time to get on with the next part of the journey. I haven’t really thought or planned much for Churchill yet, let alone central America, so time to get my brain in to gear. As I left the airport  I called our friend Dorothy in Calgary, but she had only got back from an Alaskan cruise late the night before, and was still recovering, and not quite ready for visitors.  A shame, but I am sure I might be back again before too long ! I had a lot of miles to cover to get to Thompson, and as it turned out, if I had delayed by even half a day in getting to Thompson, I would have been stuck there fore another 3-4 days before I wold be able to get to Churchill.
 
  After filling up with (cheaper) fuel in the big smoke of Calgary before heading bush again, and making sure the fridge was stocked with food and beer, I headed out North towards Edmonton. I decided to go on the freeway for the 3 hour trip as the side roads didn’t look much better or more interesting – But about half an hour up the
road, grid lock !!  A tow truck and an ambulance went up the inside lane, so obviously an accident – On a nice sunny day !! We had probably been inching along for about an hour when they decided to put both lanes onto a single lane dirt access road that ran beside the freeway.  No problem – except that about 10 minutes later we see cars whizzing down the (previously closed) freeway beside us !!  They had opened it again – And the idiot police forgot that now all the traffic on the dirt access road couldn’t get out and back on the freeway at the next access point because of everything now whizzing along the freeway at high speed !!  So it was probably another hour before we eventually got back onto the freeway.  Stupid.     And ironic that about 10 minutes further along there was another go slow and there was the truck that had obviously been in the original accident – But this time the tow truck had its bonnet up, broken down !!   Cue wry smile from Giles. 

Basically a pretty boring flat drive all the way to Edmonton.  Very industrial, lots of oilfield presence, both in offices beside the road and loads of drill pipe and casing on trucks on the freeway. I stopped and topped up my fuel in Edmonton and came across a couple of really rude and unhelpful people in the gas station.  One guy had his car parked across the only diesel line, and proceeded to spend 20 minutes in the toilet, and then spend another 10 minutes getting  cup of coffee.  When I mentioned to him that he was blocking the diesel pump and about 4 trucks were waiting to refuel, he said he was at the gas pump, not the diesel pump, so it wasn’t his problem.   Hmmmmmmm.

The sky then got very black and we had a massive storm while driving around Edmonton – All adds to the fun of driving on strange roads.  One woman stopped in the middle of the freeway, and her passenger ran round in the rain to get in the driver’s side, presumably because the first driver was too nervous to continue !  How everyone avoided their car I do not know.

While I am having a rant, I have to say I am shocked by the very poor standard of the driving here in this part of Canada.  Cars sit behind you when there is a dotted line for them to overtake, and then as soon as there is a solid line for a corner or brow of a hill, they decide to go !!  It is as if they think a solid line means they can overtake, it is so common.  We have seen SO many close shaves with oncoming vehicles having to go off into the dirt.  2 days ago, coming in to Jasper, a big semi trailer passed us over the brow of a hill, and when he swerved back in front of us too early after a car suddenly came over the hill, he missed the front of Troopie by about 2 cms, I swear.  Crazy driver.

Then the speed limit on the freeway is 110 kmh. I sat on 110 kmh just for fuel economy reasons, but I can tell you I did not overtake a thing all day !  They mostly do about 130 kmh or often a lot more, trucks included, even when passing cop cars parked in median strips.   And the really fast ones weave in and out of the lanes – Not just occasionally, but ALL the time.   This evening a girl in a new Fiat 500 undertook me on a narrow 2 lane road by just driving inside me on the dirt section off to the side of the road – And I was doing 100, so she had to be doing 130 or so while she did it !  I was gobsmacked !!   The road death statistics over here must be frightening. 

Rant over !!  It is their problem, not mine – As my son Damien would say to me "Dad - Your space, their space".  Unless they involve me in their accident !!!  

I had noted a Provincial Park camp site on the map about an hour east of Edmonton, so headed for that.  After a fairly sunny afternoon, it got all cloudy again just as I was getting there, but the rain held off.  Then we get the next stupid rule – No on site check-in like normal, but you have to do it either on-line or to a phone number – But the camp site is in a dead, no phone signal area !!!  Fortunately there is a land line at the entrance, but when you call the number, and answering machine just says “Book on line”.   Duh !!  Anyway, eventually found the camp site host, played the “poor lost Aussie without a local phone” trick (not difficult !!), and got a site for the night paying them cash !!  So all sorted eventually.  A quick supper, type up some more blog on Word (hopefully in readiness for a wifi connection somewhere tomorrow !), and to bed.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment