Tuesday 29 July 2014

0065 27-28th July - Deming to El Centro California

Sunday 27th July.  From Deming heading west on I10 is not the most exciting road, and I wouldn’t want to drive it too often, but it is about 40 years since I last drove it, which means that to me it is 99.9% forgotten, so it is interesting for me to see it again. I am also well aware that my photos are not the most exciting either, but I hope that I can at least convey to you just a little bit of what it is like to drive the road.  If you have never driven it before, then maybe you can get an idea of what it is like, and if you have driven it before, maybe some of my words and photos will remind you a little of the fun and what you might have seen on your trip.


The straight roads west of Deming are just that – Very straight, and very flat, with the occasional bend or hill thrown in about every 40 or 50 miles or so, just to keep you going !!  The road is getting pretty close to the Mexican border in some places, and you see quite a lot of “Border Security” trucks running along side the highway, on dirt tracks.  Not far into today’s journey, we saw lots of flashing lights on both sides of the road, and had to slow as we passed maybe 8 Border Security vehicles beside the road, with people in flak jackets.  Didn’t like to make my photo taking too obvious as things are sensitive enough out here at the moment……..!!

On this road, there often seem to be mountains in the distance, but they are usually almost lost in the heat haze. And although they continually warn of dust storms, I think it was too hot and windless for that today.  But from the number of warnings, and the fairly frequent advisory signs of what you should do if caught in a dust storm when driving, it is obvious that they do occur quite frequently. 

As we went up one of the occasional small hills through a little pass, the Ghost Town of Steins was on our right.  One sees so many abandoned buildings all through America that I can understand how they ghost towns.  People just up and walk away, leaving houses (and often old trucks and farm implements) to rot as time passes. Sad, but that aspect of American life is very apparent – You get it a little in Australia, but not nearly as much as here where people often just walk away and (presumably) go some where else to try again.  I don’t think it happens so much in the UK – Maybe because there isn’t so much room !!

We then went through a stunning little pass with some interesting rock formations, framed by little puffy cloud formations in the heat over head, and then over the State border into Arizona.  I stopped at one rest area to stretch my legs, and have to say that they do these stops quite well, although a little more shade would be good on these hot days.  I love seeing all the warnings about scorpions and snakes over here – Australia they just let you find them for yourself !!!   Then about an hour later we came to a sizable and very rocky pass – Texas Pass.  There was another rest area here so I pulled over again and this time made my lunch.  Not searing heat yet, but warming up – It seems to keep getting hotter until about 6 pm here, and then doesn’t really cool off much until midnight or later.

After the pass, we dropped into Tucson, and I went into town to find a Starbucks so I could sit in the cool for a while and do my blog.  Very new, fresh looking city, with some amazing fly overs and freeway ramps with mountains in the back ground.  I ended up spending several hours there as it was just too hot to continue.  I also need to do quite a lot of research into the requirements for the border crossing into Mexico – what paperwork is required, and where to get it etc. So it was time well spent before I set off on the road again.

I was still driving at 8 pm, as it was just too hot to stop and sit in the heat or try to cook a meal.  I finally got to Gila Bend, but not before seeing my first saguaro cactus beside the road.  I know I will see many more, but it is always fun to see your first one on a trip.

Gila Bend is not the most stunning town, but I found the only RV park, and they not only had decent showers etc, but the showers and toilets were airconditioned !!   Now THERE was a good reason to read a book in the loo !

Anyway, did my laundry and a few jobs around the car while I cooked my supper – a yummy little filet mignon, that came up a treat even if I say so myself !  As the sun finally went down, I turned in, but it was not cool – I needed my little fan blowing on me all night to even have a hope of sleeping !!  (Note to Jamie who knows my fan – It may be quiet, but doesn’t blow enough volume ! I had to go out and buy a new fan today !!  Well, who was expecting 115 degrees F ?!)  Also have ditched sleeping bags, even lying on top of them, and bought a couple of sheets, because they are much easier to wash than bags.

 

Monday 28th July.  Woke up this morning after not too bad a night’s sleep.  I certainly woke up hot on a number of occasions, but fortunately managed to get back to sleep again each time.  I was up by 6 am to try and get everything packed up before the sun got too hot, and when it was all done, I went and had a another shower before setting off so at least I started the day clean and fresh !!  First stop was just the local gas station where I had spotted that they were an agent for Sanborn’s Insurance, who do much of the car insurance for Mexico.  Bit of a rip off price wise, but compulsory, so I went ahead and did it here as it is much easier to get as many of this items out of the way BEFORE you reach the border.  So maybe an hour filling out forms and trying to prove that my zip code in Australia really does only have 4 numbers, and that my driving licence really was real !!  Anyway, all done and dusted.

As soon as I went down the main street, I saw another space ship !!  This time they had taken over a whole motel – So I slid on by and headed out of town…………….   The road to Yuma is through a lot of desert, and is also a USAF range, so all sorts of things flying around.  First sight on the ground was an ENORMOUS solar set up.  I presume it is just an electricity generating system, but is not using solar panels, but what look like a lot of mirrors that can rotate and follow the sun.  Then, about half way to Yuma, we went through a small pass first, and then the road snaked up into a much bigger pass, although it was single lane due to resurfacing at the top. But this second pass was interesting because for the first time the other 2 lanes of the freeway separated and actually criss crossed underneath our lanes a couple of times, putting them over on the right, like in Australia or the UK !   Very odd, but fortunately by the time we came out of the pass, we were back on our correct sides !!

As we dropped out of the pass into the valley below, a triffid suddenly appeared on the left hand side, but I managed to avoid him.  They seem to be getting sneekier………..and closer !!   Then as the scenery rapidly turned to sand dunes, and very large ones, we went under a gantry advising us that there was another inspection station ahead and we would have to stop.  We have done this a couple of times – Primarily they are looking at trucks, to make sure they are not carrying any illegal immigrants in the back, but they also check any suspicious vehicles.  They usually only ask me where I have come from, and where I am going, but this time I was the one that got waved straight on through !  They must be getting used to me at last…….

The sand dunes are large and extensive, and seem to be called the Imperial Dunes. I did see a sign about “Dune use permits”, so presumably the locals come out here to play.  But it must be difficult because not only is there a big fence over to the left which one just catches glimpses of occasionally, but there is also a very large canal, called “The All American Canal” which presumably takes water out into the parched desert so they can grow things (It is called “The Winter Vegetable Capital” – Presumably far too hot in summer !), but also it is wide enough and the concrete sides are steep enough that people would find it hard to get across it ?

I then came into Yuma, and had some chores to do if I am to cross into Baja tomorrow morning.  As I found a super market, I also spotted a Jiffy Lube place where they do oil changes on the spot.  What is more, right next door to it was the car spare parts place that carries my oil and oil filters – So perfect.  So while he was draining the oil out, I went next door and got the new oil and a filter, and they also greased all the suspension and universal joints, so an hour later Troopie was ready for another 10,000 kms.  That should get me to Panama.  It is only 4000 kms since I last had an oil change done in Houston, but by doing this one now I can keep going for a while.   I also found a propane gas place and had my gas bottle for my stove topped up, and also got a few other bits and pieces I needed, so all is now ready for “The Crossing” tomorrow !!

I went on to El Centro as I am going to cross at Mexicali tomorrow and this is just up the road.  But at 3 pm when I was ready to stop, it was just so hot that I have to admit I chickened out, and when I saw a Motel 6 with wifi for $50, I am afraid I didn’t hesitate, and booked in !!  So I am trying to tidy everything up, get my blog up to date, and will get a good nights sleep so I can set off early to Mexicali.  This really is Pert 2 of my journey starting tomorrow, and I am certainly a little apprehensive about setting off into the unknown.  Until know it hasn’t been too difficult, but now I have to dredge some Spanish up from somewhere, and start exploring unknown territory.  But I have wanted to go to Baja for many years, so am really excited about what the coming weeks will bring. 

The internet in Motel 6 is SLOW !!  So I have not detailed all the pics otherwise I will be here all day.  Maybe later
 

No comments:

Post a Comment