Tuesday 7 April 2015

0242 Florianopolis to Canela

6th April
From the tropical coast to the freezing mountains

I ended up spending Saturday and Sunday on Florianopolis.  Saturday I just lazed around and read my Kindle and walked on the beach, and then on Sunday I went to explore the northern part of the island, and alternative possible camp sites.  When I woke up it was trying to rain, and by the time I got going, it was raining quite hard, so it was just as good to be driving around in it as sitting in a camp site !

It was Easter Day, so predictably quiet, but I guess the rain had sent many of the weekend tourists home early because I really didn’t see any.  Bit of a shame for the locals who I know depend on these holiday weekends for income, but I guess it can’t be helped.  I went right up to the northern tip of the island, and it was a lot more built up than I had expected.  This really is quite a big island with industry as well as resorts
all over it.  I managed to find a supermercado that was open so I could buy some supplies, although I didn’t trust the meats which looked as though they had been sitting around since the week before.  But Sunday is the one day round here where they do rotisserie chickens (I haven’t worked out yet why it is only on Sundays! ) and I found one of those, which will last me a few days until I find a better supermarket. I also found the two other camp sites that were marked on my maps, but they were both horrible, and as it was still raining I decided to go back to my Scout camp site and continue reading my Kindle !  And eat some chicken for supper !

Overnight we had quite a lot of thunder and rain, but by morning the wind had dried out my awning etc so I could pack up dry and hot the road back to the mainland.  Target today was the little town of Gramado, up in the hills above Porto Alegre.  I knew nothing about it but people had told me it was worth a visit.  And as I have nothing else to do until my ship leaves, why not ?

Driving off the island of Florianopolis it was very evident that everyone had left the day before.  The little two lane road round the kite surfing inlet which had been a massive traffic jam when I arrived on Friday afternoon was totally deserted, with just 2 or 3 cars and a few morning walkers out. So I was soon through Florianopolis city with its Corniche, and  off the island.  Once I was back on the
main road, the scenery was pretty similar with jungle never far from the road.   After a couple of hours as we approached Tubarao I caught glimpses through the trees of what looked like a fancy suspension bridge.   The approach roads were all new, and I had my camera out to take photos as I crossed the bridge.  But then, to my disappointment, we were shuffled off down a deviation and crossed the Lagoa de Imarui on a grotty old bridge !   The new one wasn’t finished yet !  Never mind, I got a better view of it this way !!

Soon after this, the scenery started to change and before long there was no more jungle forest around me, but  much more open fields and countryside – A pleasant change.  It was raining off and on all day, sometimes very heavily, which is always fun over here.  Some people slam on their brakes when they can’t see, or put on their 4 way emergency flashers (which they use ALL the time, even when stopping for a pee !), while others don’t slow down at all (or put their lights on), and it becomes a question of trying to spot the other car before it hits you !  All good fun that helps to pass the time of day on the freeway !

At Terra de Areia I turned away from the coast, and started west up into the mountains.  A bit more jungle as we climbed, and then we got a section of good twisty “Lotus” road, along with a couple of tunnels. It was quite steep in places, and when we eventually came out at the top, we were over 900 metres and the temperature had drop from 30 to 15 deg C !!  At one point there was a concrete viaduct we had to cross that hung out off the hillside, and when I look at the photos I now notice it seems to be all twisted and sagging in the middle !!  Hmmm !

And the scenery on the top was totally different again – More reminiscent of Scotland with its colouring and pine forests.  And a lot of timber business and saw mills – obviously their main source of revenue up here.  After twisting around through several small villages, we eventually arrived in Canela, just 5 kms short of my target of Gramado.  Driving into Canela was I was surprised to see Easter eggs and Easter Bunnies
EVERYWHERE – In roundabouts, on lamp poles – It was Bunny City !!   The camp site that my guide (Mr Garmin !) was taking me to turned out to be a hotel on the outskirts of Canela, and when there was no “Camping” sign, I went in to this very nice hotel with a roaring fire in the lobby, and asked if they had camping here.  Si, si, they said, and took me out behind the hotel where there were big grounds under pine trees, totally empty !  On asking, they told me it had been full at the weekend, but everyone had no left, so I could park anywhere I wanted !  And they have wifi !  Perfecto.

First thing I did was change out of my shorts and T shirt and put some long trousers and long sleeved top on – I was freezing !  Then I went and sat in the hotel lobby by the roaring fire and relaxed and did my blog !  The manager told me that Canela is famous for its Easter Bunny decorations and people come from miles around to see them.  He also told me it is a place where they have winter all year round – Always cold here !   And he mentioned that Gramado is famous for its chocolate !!  Great – I can hardly wait to explore the area a bit more tomorrow.

When I went back out to cook my supper, I found 2 Llama and 2 Ostriches running around the camp site !  Hmmmm – Like Forrest Gump said, Life really is like a Box of Chocolates – You never know what you are going to get each day.  Today I started on a sub tropical hot and humid beach, and by the end of the day I had gone up mountain passes and through tunnels, and was sitting in front of a roaring fire trying to keep warm ! 

Nice being back in the mountains !!  J


Pics here :- 
https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0242FlorianopolisToCanela?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbJqL_jmaPRRQ#

3 comments:

  1. i love travelling and seeing blogs related to that! its my true passion. speaking of your post, everything is very pretty and attractive. this is really the kind of thing i would do if i needed an adventure ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like travelling specially when i feel like sad or demotivated i go for a trip to some mountain areas. Where you can feel the beauty of nature. It just freahen your mind and motivates to start your routine again. i am sure you also have enjoyed your trip to alaska and that i can see in the pics you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highly informative article. These are really great tips to follow. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog with us. - we will ensure your success. About some esoteric points, they illustrate with examples for you on the 700-265 Certification Exam Questions Braindumps.

    ReplyDelete