Friday 23 January 2015

0186 Chiloe - There and back !

21-22 Jan 2015

(First of all, just a note.  For the last few posts I do not seem to be able to do the mapping of each photo that I normally do, which allows you to see my route for each day.  Don't know what is going on, but will keep trying.  Just so you know I am trying to do the map !!)
 
Woke up early and got moving – No reason to hang around here. Had another first time camper next to me last night – This time they had a caravan they had rented, first night on the road.  They had been trying to put out the side awning and had ended up with a real mess with he awning flapping and the side bars coming to pieces.  It was the same awning as we used to have on our Winnebago to I went over and showed them how to do it !  Nice little camp site though – And good showers and toilets (most important ! (As regular people on here will know from my past similar comments !))

The road down through the island (The continents second biggest island) runs right down through the middle.  The people on the island are largely a seafaring tribe who developed culturally and historically in defiance of Santiago. It is famous for its tijuelas (houses made from Chilote wood shingles) and palafitos (houses mounted on stilts along the water’s edge), as well as more than 150 iconic wooden churches.  Apparently they have a rich spiritual culture based on a distinctive mythology of witchcraft, ghost ships, and forest gnomes !

Most of the towns and farms are on the more protected east side, while the western Pacific Ocean side is largely dense forests and wild and remote national parks.  Driving down through the middle was largely farming and forestry, and half way down I came to the town of Castro.  I won’t call Castro interesting, but I did see some of the palafitos they were famous for, although at low tide I am not sure they had that an attractive outlook (or odour) !   Shortly after Castro I decided to drive over to Cucao over on the western coast, and that was quite interesting.  Rolling hills and farmland, we first passed through the little village of Huillinco, which is situated on the very scenic lake of the same name.  Passed one amazing 4 story tower of a house made of the local wooden shingles – It was for sale too !! 

Coming to Cucao, there is not a lot there – Lots of small wooden houses (many of which are cabinas, for rental accommodation) and a lot of hikers, cyclists and other tourists exploring the area. Wooden shingle churches and houses, and even a bridge over a sea inlet.  But I understand they get pretty wild weather here, especially in the winter, so not an enormous community.  Interesting to see though.

Then it was back to the main road (Ruta 5) down through the middle, where soon after I passed the wreckage of a big semitrailer that had not quite negotiated a downhill curve in the road !  It looked pretty fresh, and this was confirmed the next day when I came past again – It had been removed.  Then it was into an extensive road works section – Probably for about 50 or more kms.  They were laying a new concrete road surface so we had to stop about every 5 kms and wait for oncoming traffic before we could go – Not much fun, and by the end it was all getting rather tiresome. Given that it is the tourist season here, seems like not the best time to be doing major road repairs ?

Anyway, eventually got into Quellon, the southern most town on the island and the official end of Ruta 5 in Chile.  This road has stretched all the way down from the Peruvian border at Arica where we first entered Chile, so although we missed some of it, I guess I have seen most of this road !  I drove through the little town which is primarily a fishing town – Plus the twice weekly ferry across to Chaiten, over on the mainland, leaves from there twice a week.  The town port had quite a lot of bars and looked like a typical fishing port – A few “sailors” lying under the trees beside the road sleeping
their intake away !!  Also lots of wooden shipbuilding going on along the waters edge – Interesting to see.   I went straight to a camp site I had logged which sounded great, and it was.  The owners Nelly and Omar couldn’t have been more friendly and welcoming, and despite the language issue (them no English and my limited Spanish !) I soon learned of the ferry to Chaiten which is actually on the road I want to travel on down through Patagonia – The Carretera Austral.  After all the roadworks I had come through on the way south, I really didn’t feel like driving all the way back to Puerto Montt in order to drive down the other side again, even though it was only about 250 kms.  So Nelly suggested I go and book a place on the ferry to Chaiten, and she and
Omar led me to the shipping office in their car – How kind of them.  All to no avail though as apparently both the Friday and Sunday sailings were full already, and the thought of losing 10 days just sitting around was too much – Even though this is a delightful spot.  Later on I got chatting to Eduardo who was camped beside me with his girlfriend, and were about to catch the ferry to Chaiten themselves – But only having bicycles, there was no space problem for them.  Eduardo spoke good English, and explained a lot about the Carretera Austral to me.  There are also 3 ferries on that route (which I knew about), two short 30 minute ones and one long (3 hour) one. The long one and second short one you also have to book in advance – But these you have to book at the shipping office in
Puetro Montt !!  We tried to book on line, but there seemed to be an issue, so in the end I decided to drive back to Puerto Montt early the next morning and go directly to the shipping office (for which I now had a name and address !), and see if I could get on a ferry sooner than waiting around in Quellon  for 10 days.  Additionally Eduardo told me that the best bit (or one of the best bits) of the CA is the first part, with the ferry rides, down to Chaiten. So if I caught a ferry from Quellon to Chaiten, I would miss this bit !  So that made up my mind – I would head back to Puerto Montt and then do the 1200 km CA (Carretera Austral) from top to bottom.  But I cannot speak highly enough of Nelly and Omar – They were SO helpful, and their campsite over looking the bay and looking across to the volcanoes was simply stunning.  And they had wifi, hot showers, etc etc.   I would quite happily have stayed there for several days.   But……..


So early the next morning, Thursday, I headed back to Puerto Montt.  (Ferry booking office closed on weekends !) It was trying to rain when I got up – A kind of Scottish mist – a complete change from the numerous clear sunny days I had enjoyed recently.  So I packed up, filled the water tank ready for a few days in the wilderness of the CA, and headed back north. I won’t repeat the trip, except to say that I seemed to hit the roadworks better and they didn’t seem as tiresome as on the way down.  I am glad I went down and saw Chiloe, and glad I went to Quellon and stayed at Nelly and Omar’s camp site – And it was very fortunate that I
met Eduardo there who was able to explain the fairly complicated workings of the “system” for driving the CA, without which I might have been stuck in no man’s land !!  I was back in P Montt by lunch time, found the ferry office – And found I could not get space on the longer (3 hour) ferry until Monday !!  Ah – Oh well, lets go explore around Puerto Montt for 3 days !!  This is the first time since Alaska that we have really had a problem caused by needing to book things ahead, so I can’t really complain.  And learning the finer details about the CA is not something you can easily do from books or the internet – Most of the information is aimed at or written by cyclists, and they don’t have an issue booking on the ferries !   So 3 days is a minor price to pay.

So I popped into the tourist office in central P Montt, and they gave me some ideas – A circular route around scenic Lago Llanquihue just north of P Montt, including getting up close and personal with the impressive Volcan Osorno that I had been seeing for several days now, and then heading down towards La Arena on Sunday where I would catch my first ferry.  Lots of camping sites, so not a problem if I get there a bit early – Wouldn’t want to miss my ferry and have to wait another week !!

Wandering around downtown P Montt I bumped into Nicholas, the Chilean lad on a bicycle who I had given a lift to a few days ago !  He was down on the waterfront amongst all the other stall holders selling Indian cigarettes (?!) to try to raise some money to fund his ongoing journey to Punta Arenas. He also has a firestick with which he juggles and blows fire at the traffic lights to also raise money – But I have yet to see him do that !  He seem to spend most of his time chatting up the local girls who came by !!

Then it was back to the car – Where I found an itinerant windscreen wiper salesman fitting new wiper blades to a car next to mine. I had a bit of a problem with mine driving up from Chiloe in the Sottish mist and decided new blades were in order, so why not from this lad ? Together with the guy who was keeping an eye on my car while it was parked (a kind of security system down here), this ended up being quite a fun half hour while the guy chatted, told me about the best places to see on the CA, and we generally had fun while he fitted my new blades !  Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics of him at work !


I then set off to Lago Llanquihue, and I was driving directly towards snowcapped Volcan Osorno.  What a great sight !  Through the little lakeside tourist town of Puerto Varas, and then on round the shores of the lake to Ensenada, where I knew of a possible camp site.  I drove in there and was offered a site so small I could get Troopie in there, and with trees so low that I couldn’t have put the pop top up if I wanted to.  In addition they wanted 14000 pesos – That’s about $30 !! Ah, but we have private bathrooms, she said.   For 14000 pesos I would need the bathroom to be gold plated, I told her.   She offered me a slightly larger site, but still not very nice, but this one was 18000 pesos !!  I left.

I literally drove 6 feet to the next door place which also had a camping sign.  Bigger blocks, nice people, wifi, hot showers, can do laundry – How much ?  4000 pesos !!!  I can SEE the 14000 peso block from where I am camping, and I know which is the nicer camp site.  So I have decided to relax here for a day or two, get laundry done, change the fuel filter, and do a few chores, and just chill out on the shores of Lake Llanquihue.  So here I sit, waiting form my ferry ride on Monday morning to start my adventure down the Carretera Austral.   Can’t wait !!

No comments:

Post a Comment