Friday 30 January 2015

0188 Hornopiren to Caleta Gonzalo

26 Jan 2015.

It was a great little camp site by the river in Hornopiren – “Camping Bosque Nativo”.  After a good hot shower (but why do they put the taps down just 6 inches off the floor ???), set off to catch my “long” ferry from Hornopiren to Leptepu.  As I left the camp site I saw a couple more of “my” eagles in a field, although I thought they looked a bit bigger than the ones on my car yesterday, and when I put them onto the computer I could see their beaks were also quite different – Hmm – Adults and babies ?  Or a different bird ?   It was trying very hard to rain, and in fact, by the time I got to the ferry at 10.15 and joined the queue, it was bucketing down.    Thank goodness it held off while I was packing up camp. 

I sat in the queue and read in the rain, and then at about 11 am they started boarding.  Well, it was chaotic – Some drivers did their usual thing and immediately tried to go up the outside lane to jump the queue, and then there were a couple of cars whose occupants had disappeared so people had to drive round them.  And of course, everyone had tickets, so it didn’t really matter – In fact, it turned out that all the people who pushed to the front were worse off than if they had waited !  We all had to turn around on the deck of the ferry and reverse into our parking positions, so the first people on were actually going to be the last off !!  Ha ha.  I was in the middle so was neither laughing or crying !

It took an hour to load everyone, and the second to last vehicle on was a big 40 seater bus.  Since the booking office in both Quellon and Puerto Montt had been so adamant that the ferrys were fully booked, I was very interested to see if there were going to be any spaces left on the ferry !  After the bus, I small camper the Argentine plates also revered on – No, there were no spare spaces !  It was still raining off and on – Only things enjoying it were some cormorants that were having a lovely time playing around the boat.

On the dot of 12 o’clock, right on schedule, we left the ramp and set off on our 4 hour ferry ride to Leptepu. Although it was overcast, the clouds hanging around the mountains and the light blue of the water in the narrow channel that we followed between an isthmus and the mainland was quite dramatic.  Steep heavily forested hills on either side were very dramatic, but after 15 minutes, they all seem a bit the same.  So I moved inside where one actually has an allocated seat number, and got myself a coffee and an empanada.  The empanada was OK, but the coffee was horrible – Coffee is just not their thing down here, and I really should remember not to buy it !  Just stick with the maté !!  Eventually the clouds cleared, and I spent most of the time up on deck, where I spotted a few dolphins, but that was about it as far as wild life went.  I also went to check on the number plates of the camper that was last on as it just looked “foreign”.  As I was doing this, the owners of the vehicle came up to me and asked where Iw as from – They turned out to be Dutch – Piet and Rika – and had hired the camper for a from Bariloche.  It turned out that they HADN’T booked in advance for the ferry, and had just snuck on at the last minute.  Consequently they were going to get off first !!  But had a great chat with them on the ferry – Great couple.  (I will forgive them for not booking !!)   Finally, right on 4 pm, we arrived at the little unloading ramp in Leptepu, and that is really about all there is there !   Getting off the ferry was almost as chaotic as getting on – This time because 2 cars had flat batteries and had to be jumped – and of course one of those was right in front of me !!  So I was in fact 4th from last off the ferry.  The relevance of this you will see shortly.

It is only about a 10 minute drive on the dirt road through the forest from Lemtepu to Fiordo Largo, where we were to catch another ferry, and the only ones who had a dust free ride were Piet and Rika who had got off the ferry first (because they were last on !).  I was 4th from the back, so had a slow and dusty drive to the next ferry.  And when we reached the next ferry, it was much smaller and only took about 20 cars !  So while Piet and Rika were once again at the head of the queue and on the first ferry, it was an hour and a half later before I got on the third trip – There was only one ferry, so it had to keep going there and back.    Finally I got off in Caleta Gonzalo at about 6.30, and there was a restaurant right there by the ramp – And there were Piet and Rika sitting there in the sunshine enjoying a large glass of vino !!  Sometimes I guess it pays to not book, and just roll up, and today that was certainly the case for these two !!  So I joined them for a vino, and they had reserved a table in this little restaurant for dinner, and invited me to join them – Which I did with alacrity !  Piet is a pilot with Lufthansa Cargo, so visits many places around the world, and they are just having a 3 week holiday over here to escape some of the cold and wet of a European winter !!  The food was interesting (chicken lasagne ??), the wine was excellent, and the conversation and company was superb – A very pleasant evening – Thank you guys.   In the time they had already been on the mainland (ie before I got there) they had checked out a campsite that was only 12 or so kms up the road, so after we finished our dinner, we drove along the dirt road to the camp site, but which time it was getting dark and was trying to rain, so we just set up our respective vehicle and went to bed straight away.  An interesting day on the ferries of Chile !!

No comments:

Post a Comment