Friday 30 January 2015

0192 Lago Las Torres to Coyahaique

30th Jan 2015
What a view to wake up to !  The snowcapped peak on the other side of the lake to the west was no bathed in the morning sun, and the lake was almost millpond smooth, reflecting all.  This central / southern part of Patagonia is certainly very dramatic scenery-wise, and the tropical forests of further north are slowly getting less dense.   I topped up the water tank in Troopie because the girl in the camp site said that the water out of the tap came straight down off the snowcapped mountain peak behind us – No tanks, no treatment – Just a 2000 metre drop down the mountain and into the tap ! 

Just as I was filling my tank a guy came down off the road to fill up his water bottle – A Dutchman on a bicycle (now there’s a surprise !) called Cornelius – Or would that be Kornelius ?  Anyway, we had a long chat – he has just come over for a couple of months to escape the European winter, and on this occasion flew into Puerto Montt and is riding down the length of the Carretera Austral to Bernard O’Higgins.  With only a bicycle he can then catch a boat from B O’ Higgins to Punta Arenas (not possible with a car), from where he will fly home.  He does a trip like this every year, and has been doing it for 20 years or more !
Today was basically driving down through the gorge or valley of the Rio Simpson, and it is really dramatic, with not only snowcapped peaks, but also many enormous monoliths and boulders along the way, some of which are so high that you can’t see the top of them as you drive under them.  I just so enjoyed the drive that I don’t think I went over about 80 kmh all day – I was just pootling along, stopping frequently for photos or just to soak up the view.  Rio Simpson is a big fly fishing river and many people have rods on their cars and whenever they pass an interesting section of river, they stop and try their luck.  In Manihuales I saw a French small van stopped beside the road, so I joined them for a chat – His name was Hervé , and he leaves his car in Argentina then comes over from France for 4- 6 months each year to escape the winter, and to go fishing !
The valley slowly widens out until there are fields and meadows with lots of cows and horses, and hay already cut and wrapped.  I decided to take a detour down to Puerto Aysen down on the west coast, but it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.  I expected a port of some kind, probably on a kind of fjord, maybe a bit like Stavanger or similar. But there was nothing there – Just a river with a few small boats tied up along the river bank.  So I drove around town for about an hour looking around, and remained un impressed !   Except for the price of fuel – After being really expensive further north on Ruta 7, it suddenly was less than a $ a litre here.  So I topped up with grateful thanks !
I then headed east towards Coyhaique, and after a little while stopped for lunch at the “Virgin’s Waterfall”, with a lovely waterfall and then a crucifix and a statue of the Virgin Mary along with candle areas and similar – Quite a set up for a picnic spot ! One Chilean family on holiday came over while I was trying to make my sandwiches and wanted to chat about everything I had seen – They were a lovely family, but why do they always come over when you are trying to make a sandwich ??!  The dad was fascinated with my “Police” badges and medallions from the USA, and he came over later with a little key ring figurine of a local Chilean Policeman to add to my collection – It turned out he was himself a Policeman !!
I eventually ate my lunch !!
Then it was down more steep sided valleys, following the Rio Maniguales towards Coyhaique. As we came over a hill just before Coyhaique there were 3 wind turbines (seems odd to just have 3 ?) and then a magnificent view over the rest of the valley to the little town of Coyhaique itself.  After the rainforest wilderness of the last few hundred kilometres, it is a sudden return to traffic lights, busy streets and semi trailers  everywhere – both in town and on the highways.  Apparently hydro-electricity is the next big thing that is going to happen here, so I guess they are gearing up for it.  We shall see – At present it seems a bit run down – The shopping area I went to had a lot of vagrants sitting outside in the car park with their brown paper bags, and that is the first time I have seen that for quite a while.
Anyway, my hunt is on for wifi.  I found a nice Parque Nacional campsite just outside town, but it had no wifi.  I then found another camp site right on the edge of town, down a very steep driveway.  They say they have wifi, and the drive is so steep I really didn’t want to go back up again, so I will find out whether or not their claim is true later.  If not, I will have to go back up into town and try to find a library or something tomorrow, because I now have a lot of days posts to put up !
From here, it is hard to know what to do and what to go and see.  There are so many great National Parks, and it is hard (make that impossible !) to stop at all of them, so I think I will just keep wandering, and see what happens.
Remember, all who wander are not lost !!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment