Monday 9 February 2015

0199 Around El Chalten - Hike to Glacier Huemul

6th Feb 2015 

Woke up early and the wind had died down a little, but still not enough for me to put the pop top up while I got dressed and packed away my sleeping bag etc.  Surprisingly all the Dragoman tents were still standing, and I had not burned Troopie down last night in my efforts to cook my supper (yummy local chorizo sausage, spuds and boiled veggies – I eat quite well on the road !).  And I wasn’t feeling too stiff either, although I ended up with a big blister on the bottom of my heel (odd place for a blister !) and it is quite sore today, so I might postpone the walk to Mt Fitz Roy for a day, explore El Chalten a little, and then drive the 30 or so kms up to the end of the road and find out what is up there.  It was also bitterly cold this morning – I had jackets and my furry Alaskan hat on right from the start !

 
After packing up, I drove into town and just slowly explored.  Down at the southern end I found a delightful little map and sticker shop open  (I needed a Mt Fitz Roy / Ruta 40  sticker for the car !) despite it not yet being 9 am, and got chatting with the delightful owner, a gentleman called Oscar.  He was intrigued with my journey, and despite the fact that I only bought a couple of stickers, he insisted on giving me a couple of excellent local maps for my use.  The backdrop for his little shop is the hill behind the town, and behind that, Mt Fitz Roy – What a back drop !  Although he was complaining that there were so many telephone and power poles obstructing the view, and that a new town council has just been elected and apparently he is hoping they will clean up a lot of the messy infrastructure of the town. It would be nice if they did.   He then wanted a photo of my car, and while we were chatting told me his daughter Robina runs the Waffleria just down the road that is apparently very popular.  She has spent some time out in Tasmania, and reckons it is very similar there to El Chalten. (Cold and wet and windy ?!!)  A very pleasant start to the day.

I then went further down the road and found the Panaderia, from which you could clearly smell the delicious fresh bread smell wafting across the street.  I went in and they had fresh warm French bread sticks straight out of the oven, and then something else caught my eye – Freshly baked empenadas – Wooo !  So I got 4 of them as well – For my elevenses.  Trouble was, they didn’t last till eleven !!  As I went on down the road, I saw a local guy I had been chatting to in the campsite a bit who was hitching south out of town, so I went over to say goodbye, and we shared a couple of the excellent empanadas right there on the side of the road.  Even as a local he reckoned they were pretty good ! I then set off north on the dirt road towards Lago del Desierto.

The walk to Mt Fitz Roy I want to do is off this road, so I wanted to check that out for tomorrow, and also just explore up the road.  I didn’t even mind the dirt – it is only about 35 kms, and I had all day to do it !  The Rio de las Vueltas flows right beside the road for a lot of the way, and if the river rose one inch in some places, it would flood the road ! About 20 minutes up the road we left the Los Glaciares Nacional Park, and from there on it was largely private land.  Just outside the park was a camp site, and it looked absolutely gorgeous. I knew I had to stay there, so I thought I would go to the end of the road, and if there was nothing there, would come back to this place for the night.  We then passed the Hosteleria El Pilar which is where you can park the car to go for the hike to Mt Fitz Roy, so got that spotted for later and moved on up the road. 

Criss-crossing the river on old metal bridges with a 6 MT weight limit, we came to Lago Condor, with its lovely backdrop of snow covered peaks and glaciers.  Somewhere around here I saw a lone hitch hiker and I decided to give him a lift – It was only about 20 kms to the end of the road anyway !  Turned out to be a French lad living and studying for a year in Santiago, and spending his summer vacation hitch hiking through Patagonia.  I had to move all my stuff around to get his pack in the back, but he was an interesting lad.  You could tell he had been camping out in the bush for a while though – Obviously deodorant is not something back packers feel the need to weigh themselves down with !! 

We got to the end of the road where there is a barrier across it saying “foot traffic only”.  This is the start of the Lago del Desierto which stretches for about 6 kms, and then only 15 kms further north is the Chilean Border, and Villa O’Higgins, the bottom of the Carretera Austral road that I was driving down last week.  The French lad was walking / hitch hiking back to Chile and on to Santiago.   The water flowing out of the Lago was SO clear it was unbelievable – Apparently the fishing is good around here and we had passed a couple of people fly fishing as we drove up.  At the very end of the road is an Argentinian Carabinieri post, presumably due to the proximity of the border, and just 100 yards back is the Estancia Lago del Desierto, with signs up offering camping and food and hikes etc.  I decided this would be a good spot for a rest day (for my legs !), and went in and made my enquiries with a great local gaucho type hombre who was busy cooking carne and sausage on a big barbecue.  He and his wife got me sorted out for camping – His wife managed to speak without moving her lips (I think to keep her false teeth securely inside her mouth) but this meant that my limited ability to understand spoken Spanish was further impaired, and she would not stop talking !   I can honestly say I did not understand one single word she said in 10 minutes – It was a good job she wrote me a receipt so I could see how much I had to pay !!

I then set up the van before going for a wander.  There is a very rickety rope footbridge across the river which is the only way to go if you are hiking north, and then a cute little 6 pew chapel beside the road, that based on the number of candles burning obviously has people stopping in.  The camp site itself is gorgeous, in a forest that reminds me very much of 100 Acre Wood. (No heffalumps spotted, however.)  There is an old log cabin that has a sign saying it is the property of the National State of Argentina, so I presume is some kind of historical building,  and there is a rather fine tumbledown old wooden building obviously used for open fire cooking when the weather is less friendly.  By now I had worked out that there was a Laguna Huemul and accompanying glacier up in the hills – You can see a couple of glaciers from the van, so it can’t be that far away. So off I went, expecting a nice little amble though the countryside.

Initially the walk takes you through this delightful forest with an ice cold river flowing down beside you.  It really has the feeling of an enchanted forest, and an ideal little stroll for a “rest day”.  Then suddenly it got steeper – A lot steeper !  And before I knew it there were even ropes strung between the trees to help you pull yourself up the steep bits !!   So much for a rest day !  From there it only took another 30 minutes or so, but it sure was a strenuous 30 minutes.

Suddenly I came out above the trees, and there to my left was Mt Fitz Roy – I was now behind it compared to where I had been yesterday, and unfortunately it was still covered in cloud – But it was there.  5 minutes further on I came over a crest and there was the ice blue Lago Huemul, being fed from the glacier right above it.  A beautiful sight, and well worth the hike – Even though my legs didn’t think so !  Looking to my left (south) I could see all the way down the valley I had driven up from EL Chalten this morning, with the couple of lakes clearly visible. Behind me was a row of jagged peaks running up beside Lago del Desierto, and ahead of me the Glacier Huemul, along with a couple of others off to the side.  I sat around up there for a while enjoying the view, and hoping that Mt Fitz Roy would clear – But to no avail, so I headed back down through the forest to the camp site.

On the way down, I got to thinking.  If all the mountain peaks were always clear, then seeing them would not be very special.  It is the very fact that seeing them is something you are occasionally “permitted” to do when the weather is right, that makes the viewing so very special.   It’s a bit like eating wine gums, especially Maynards, of which the black ones are my favourites.  But they only put a few black ones in each packet – So when you finally pull one out, it makes it special, and you say (if you are a black wine gum fan) with a smile, “I got a black one”.  If ALL the wine gums in the packet  were black, and you never had to eat a red or an orange one to get to the next black one, then the black ones wouldn’t be so special, would they ?  Well, it’s the same with mountains – You have to accept the cloudy ones because that then makes the next clear peak so special.  Well, that’s my thought, anyway, and thinking about it kept me occupied all the way down the mountain to the camp site in Hundred Acre Wood, which was “a good thing”, as Pooh would say.

Back at the van I promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours, exhausted, and then cooked spag for supper – Not too much wind up here tonight !!  Some local red wine to help the spag go down, and some fresh crusty bread from the Panaderia this morning to accompany it all  - Hey life in Patagonia is pretty good !

Especially when that bloody wind dies down a bit !!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment