Friday 27 February 2015

0216 Ushuaia 2


26th Feb 2015

Wind, sun, and a glacier !

Today I had a few chores to do, but at a leisurely pace.  So after breakfast and a chat with a few of the other campers around the warm stove, I set off into town to collect my spare wheel, hopefully now with the puncture fixed.   All done – It had been about a 2 inch nail that had gone straight in through them main part of the tyre, so it could be plugged no problem.  These two spare tyres still have some tread on them, but they have really been chopped up by all the dirt roads, so are really only good as spares.  But the tyres on the car now are good, and will be fine for the rest of the trip.  I might need to check on the price of these tyres in UK, and compare them with Argentine prices – Might be better to get some here before I ship the car !

While in town I also got enough money changed into Argentine pesos to enable me to pay for fuel for the next few weeks.  The (unofficial) exchange rates here in Ushuaia are quite good, so it is best to change money while you can get a good rate.  Then picked up my tyre – He had done a good job, but when replacing the tyre me managed to break off one of the little toggles that are fitted to my car to attach the rear camping awning to the car.  Not a big deal, just annoying, because now I have to find someone with a drill, two small pop rivets, and a pop rivet gun to help me put on a new one !  That’s the trouble over here – They fix one thing, but often manage to break something else !! 

I then spotted a new Panaderia in town, and since it was almost lunch time, I stopped in and got a few hot empenadas !  Mmmmmm.   Then I set off to find a road up behind town that takes you up to the Glacier Martial.  I thought I could drive all the way up the mountain, get some great views back over the city and the Straits of Magellan, see the
glacier, and then drive down again.  Driving up was great, and I passed a couple of big hotels / resorts that are more for the skiing in the winter than the for the summer tourists.  But then the road stopped in a big car park – You have to walk an hour or more up to the Glacier and any view points over the city.   Bother – more exercise !!  here is a chair lift, but it wasn’t running due to the winds, so I donned my hiking boots and walking gear, and se off up the mountain.  It was about 8 deg C, but the wind made it bitterly cold when it blew, so I was well rugged up when I set off. 

It wasn’t a difficult walk – Just fairly steep uphill all the way.  Half way up, the path forked, one side leading up to the glacier (“1 hour, difficult”), and the other leading to “City Views” (“45 minutes, medium”)  That sounded much more like what I wanted today, so I followed the medium one – The trouble was the “medium” bit didn’t take into account the wind strength, which was trying its
hardest to blow me off the mountain !  The wind is funny here – While it may blow all the time, every so often it gusts down the mountains like a hurricane, just for a few minutes, and when it does that, you stop walking and try to find some shelter, or at least make yourself smaller so you don’t “set sail” yourself !  You can see from the pics how narrow the trail was, so one doesn’t have much o hang on to or to hide behind !  But once I got to the top, the views over Ushuaia and the Straits of Magellan were magnificent.  There is an almost permanent rainbow over the straits not because it is raining, but because of the spray whipped up off the water by the wind, creating a moisture filled atmosphere. 

You can see all the way down to the bay, and the cruise ship visible tied up there today was the Holland America Zaandam – I think we saw that same ship a couple of months ago in Skagway Alaska !  Or maybe Juneau !!    I met a couple of Canadians off it who were climbing up to the glacier too, and they had come out of Montevideo, then the Falklands, Ushuaia, and then round the fjords of Chile and up to Santiago.  This is almost the last cruise ship of the season, apparently, and people are getting ready to shut up for the winter here within the next 2-3 weeks. 

On the way down the mountain, I noticed the green moss type of bush which we also saw in the Arctic – It only grows above the treeline, and is called Llareta, or Balsam Bog. Amazing stuff, and incredibly dense – I reckon you could stand on it, no problem. 

Back down the mountain, I went into town to pick up my tablet – Unfortunately they couldn’t do anything – They reckon it is the programme, not
the tablet.  So I will try once more to delete the programme and load it again, and see what happens.  I have mentioned the wind a few times, but short of taking a video don’t know how else I can show you how strong it is.  Then, when I parked my car in town, there was a very big Argentinian flag flying,  and it was sticking absolutely straight out from the pole – And those really big flags don’t often do that because they are so heavy.  Additionally, the ends of the flag are really tattered from flapping in the strong wind all the time – I thought maybe a photo of that might just give you an inkling of how strong the wind is !

Then it was back to the camp site, cook up some vicuna sausages and veggies for supper, and try a couple of local dark beers I had found – All were excellent.  Now it is off to bed.   Tomorrow I plan to sort out the last few bits and pieces I need to do, and then on Saturday start heading north up the east coast of Argentina – And hopefully some slightly warmer weather !!

1 comment: