Sunday 22 February 2015

0214 Rio Grande to Ushuaia

22nd Feb 2015

The stars had disappeared by the time I woke up, and it was grey, overcast, and raining !  The joys of Tierra del Fuego – 4 seasons in one day – Every day !!  So I hit the road pretty quickly, and headed south towards Ushuaia. Heading toward south towards a little ton of Tolhuin, I saw a couple of signs for a Panaderia in the town some 30 kms before the town.  This is unheard of down here – They don’t usually advertise at all, let alone 30 kms before the town !  Definitely needed investigation, so when I got to the town, I turned off, and after a little exploring, found this store with big “PANADERIA” lettering above it – And cars everywhere, and even a big coach stopped outside !  So in I went !

And inside it was just as busy – people everywhere, and they even have to have a ticketing system to make sure there is some kind of order !  I spent 5 minutes looking around – Great bread rolls and cakes and empanadas (4 different types) and doughnuts – Everything.  Even a “chocolatier” side with all sorts of home
made chocolates !  So I took my number, and while I was waiting I noticed they even run tours through the kitchens and baking areas, which are all visible through glass walls.  People getting coffees, hot water for their maté, and just a really popular place. Not very out of place in a big city, but I just haven’t seen a place like this for so long it was surprising !  I got my (still warm) crispy bread rolls and a couple of hot empanadas, and left to continue on my way.  Luckily I have to come back up this road when I leave Ushuaia, so I will certainly be stopping again at the “Panaderia la Union” !

A little way down the road I came out beside Lago Fagnano – This enormous lake goes all the way west through the Chilean border to where we were yesterday – And I then drove alongside it for some 50 kms before turning south and heading back into the mountain range that runs all along the bottom of Tierra del Fuego – The Cordillera
Darwin.   The highest peak is 1490 metres, and we went through the Paso Garibaldi between some peaks, where we stopped for some photos (I was with Joel and Bridget by this stage).  Coming down towards Ushuaia there are ski tows across the road, and lots of hiking and quad bike trails, together with lots of advertisements for Adventure Tours etc, so it is a busy little area !

I stopped for some lunch (my great fresh bread rolls from the Panaderia !) before finally  dropping down into Ushuaia, where I stopped to take a photo at the entrance to the town.  I then drove in around the front, where I saw a large Argentinian flag – Went to investigate and found a big memorial and eternal flame built in 2012 commemorating 30 years since a small battle in the Malvinas.

Eventually I found the camp site I was looking for at Rio Pipo – A centre for Overlanders where they don’t allow tent camping – Just self contained vehicles.  So you get all the German, Swiss, Austrian, American, French (and Australian) overland vehicles there, some just starting, and others like myself nearing the end.  They have hot showers, good toilets, and a great big room
heated with a pot belly stove to sit in and do your wifi etc.  They even have a big kitchen to use for cooking if you want.  Sergio the owner lives on site with his family, and it is the perfect set up for people wanting to stop and relax a while, and either unwind, or prepare for the trip ahead.  So lots of chatting about places to see and do things on the way north, and lots of mixed languages (mostly Spanglish !) being talked.  My French friends were also there, and I met an Austrian Anton and his wife Sabine who are in an amazing wooden-bodied Unimog truck. Anton built it himself and it is a work of art – Looks more like a ship than a camper !  They are still working so he works 9 months of the year near Vienna, and then they come over here for 3 months of the year.  They leave the truck in Uruguay while they are back in Austria, and have been doing this for 4 years.

I set up camp under the trees, and fortunately not much wind so I had the pop top up.  Also rain is predicted so I put the awning out the back, and then finally crossed out my “Tierra del Fuego” sign on the side of the car, and stuck on the little penguin figure I had bought for a few pesos from a vendor back at the top of the Paso Garibaldi.   It seems so
long ago that I had put the Tierra Del Fuego sign on the car, and as we have journeyed down from Alaska, people always say “Tierra del Fuego – That’s a long way”.  Well, now I am here, and have done the “long way”, and it has been great.

But we are not finished yet.  We still have another couple of months, and a long trip all the way up through Argentina to Iguazu falls, and maybe even into Brazil, before coming back down to Montevideo by the end of April to catch the ship to Europe. O I may have reached the bottom of South America, of “Fin del Mundo – End of the World” as they call it, but I still have many miles yet to go !  But for now a rest in Ushuaia for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Penguin!! Make sure that the compass is recalibrated for the trip back north. J&S.

    ReplyDelete