Wednesday 11 March 2015

0226 Playa Punta Pardelas to Puerto Madryn

10th March
A bit of a wild goose (elephant seal ?) chase !

Lovely quiet night on the beach and woke up and had a very leisurely breakfast and fiddle about before setting off to the last unvisited point on the Peninsula Valdes – Punta Delgarda, over on the far south eastern corner.  Supposedly a colony of elephant seals over there……  I thought it would take most of the afternoon so I was planning to return to the camp site in Puerto Piramides for the night.  But first I drove the short distance back to P Piramides to go to the panaderia for some fresh bread, and some insect spray for the mosquitoes and bush flies (just like the little aussie ones !) that are becoming more prevalent as it gets warmer. 

The bakery was a super little one, and he had some carne empanadas just cooked – So I took a couple of those with me for the journey !  I then set off back to the dirt road, 70 kms across the bottom of the peninsula.  Road surface wasn’t too bad, but
very dusty with the recent heat and no rain, but fortunately there wasn’t much traffic on the road.  Not really much to see, either – Just the two salt pans north of the road.  Together with the collection of oil from whales and sea lions, the harvesting of salt was one of the primary local businesses in the 19th and early 20th centuries, with a big transport system developed to get the salt back off the peninsula.  Obviously this has now ceased, but the three large salt pans (one further north on the road to the Orcas) remain.

In the last 3rd of the trip, the pampas scrub gave way to green and mush lusher looking grasslands – Whether this was cleared and introduced by man, or natural, I don’t know.  But the estancias on this grassier land seem to be more affluent, and have a lot more sheep grazing, although they did have to share with the rhea who obviously prefer the grassland too !

Finally arrived at Punta Delgado, where there is a big entrance gate, and then you drive though and on to the property.  All seemed a bit odd – Having to open and close the property gate, and then finding only one other car at the place – Just totally different from the other animal watching points on the peninsula.  And when I parked and went through another gate to the building I found out why.  This is not an official
animal reserve, supervised by rangers from the National Park.  It is in fact a private hotel and restaurant that just happens to have elephant seals on the back of their property. This was all explained very nicely to me, and I was invited to look around, although I was warned that the elephant seals had all left a couple of weeks ago, heading towards their winter feeding grounds further north.  Bummer !!   The girl also said I was more than welcome to have lunch in the (deserted) restaurant afterwards if I felt like it.

So off I toddled, and it turns out this  place played a major role in the original development of the Valdes Peninsula. The light house was built on this the SE corner of the peninsula and manned by the navy, while the property also played a major role as a telegraph station in the early days.  A garage was also there as the only place on the peninsula where trucks / wagons used for the transport of salt and other goods could be repaired and maintained, and increasingly the same for the cars of people who came to visit in their own vehicles.  Now Punta Delgado operates as an estancia and a hotel, as well as a kind of museum. 

After wandering though a few of the buildings that were open to the public  (as against used for accommodation as part of the hotel), I then went through to the lookout over the ocean.  When I got there, lying down on the rocks was a solitary female elephant seal – Very large looking with a good layer of blubber, it appeared !  Everyone else had left except her – I was told that she will probably
leave in the next few days, but it seems odd that a single animal would remain behind instead of travelling with the herd.  So apart from a very nice view, and a solitary seal, I had come some 70 kms for very little !  Bit of a disappointment after yesterday, but then you can’t have black wine gums all the time, can you ?  And it was interesting to learn a bit more about the history of Punta Delgado, and also the whole peninsula, so all was not in vain.  Just 140 kms of dusty dirt road……. !!

So as I headed back west, I started to re-evaluate my immediate plans.  It was only 2 pm. I had now seen everything on the Valdes Peninsula, so there was no point in stopping early just to spend another night at the (not very nice) camp site in Puerto Piramides, when I could easily make it back to Puerto Madryn where there was a much nicer camp
site.  I could then get an oil change done in Puerto Madryn before setting off north, and with a bit of luck that should be the last oil change I need before leaving South America.  So with that decided, I pushed on west.  For the last part of the day, I took a dirt road that ran around the coast into Puerto Madryn – I had wanted to come out that way last week, but couldn’t find the correct road out of P Madryn – So when I saw the turning this time, I took it.  It was a very pleasant road around the cliff tops with lots of lookouts – I stopped at one of them for a late sandwich, overlooking the whole coast. 

When I dropped into Puerto Madryn, I found out why I was unable to find this road when leaving the other day – There are massive road works blocking several of the roads and it was a nightmare trying to find my way into town.  It would have been impossible trying to get out that way !!  Once in town I went straight to the Toyota dealer, but unfortunately he said he was so busy he could do nothing until Saturday.  No way am I waiting here for 4 days, so I set off back to the campsite to see if I could find out about a good “lubricentre” in town, where they do oil changes and servicing.  The lad who checked me back into the camp site told me where there was one, and I went straight down there and booked the car in for 9 am tomorrow.  That will give me the chance to dig out my last oil filter (not available down here so carry my own) from my storage area, as well as the special Toyota tool they need to remove the filter. 

That done, it was back to the camp site for supper and to start reading up in the book about things I can go and see between here and Iguazu Falls.  Camping close to the office area I also got a site where I could get wifi inside the van, making everything a lot easier !  And a nice hot shower before bed – Ah, bliss !!   Actually, I was thinking the other day, people who prefer baths to showers would really be out of luck on a trip like this – The only baths I have seen on the entire journey have been in the occasional hotel we stayed in !! You don’t get baths in camp sites, and in central America where they only have cold water, even if they had a bath, it would be a cold one, which would not be too inducive to a long soak at the end of the day !  No, You have to be a shower person to do a trip like this one !! ROFL.

A manyana………
 

2 comments: