Saturday 28 March 2015

0237 Off to the beach in Brasil

27th March 2015
We go surfing at  Itamambuca Beach


Mauro and Leticia were going surfing this morning, so I went with them to see how it is done in Brasil !  We went to Itamambuca beach about 15 minutes north out of Ubatuba, and this is a private beach which is part of a gated housing community.

I wasn’t in the mood to hit the surf myself (I hadn't brought my special
board wax), but it was a lovely beach, and I spent most of the first hour splashing around at the water’s edge, trying to get photos of Mauro ad Letitia surfing.  The problem is that with my (increasingly poor) eyesight, bright sunshine, and not exactly the most ideal camera, it was hard to see who I was taking photos of !  But I got a few really good ones (not all of Mauro and Letitia, as you can see from the pics !) before my camera battery went flat………

I then went and sat up under a shady tree and read my book – Or more correctly my Kindle.  I just do not know how I would survive without my Kindle, especially when I am travelling, and every time I use it I thank my lucky stars that I have it.

On the way back into Ubatuba, we picked up one of Mauro’s friends who was waiting at a bus stop, and dropped him off in town before going to a little food hall which is owned by Letitia’s aunt (Giovanna’s sister ????) and picked up some hot food to take home for lunch. I am getting to eat more local food here with the family than I think I have eaten anywhere else on the whole trip, and it is great.  Except for one dish today that I think was tripe !!  Didn’t touch that one !

In the afternoon we went up to a neighbour’s house to use their wifi as I have some stuff I needed to do on the computer, but it was a bit slow, so only got a little bit done.  The neighbour, Tadeu Pereira, is an ex pro surfer who has surfed in Australia, and in fact knows some people we know in Queensland who are involved in Surf – Small world !  Ubatuba, (and Trindade and Paraty where we went yesterday), are a major surfing centre in Brasil, and many Australian and American surfers also come here.  So despite the fact that Ubatuba may not be a name many people recognise, in the surfing world it is very well known !

After a couple of hours paying bills and sorting out a vehicle insurance extension for me for the next month, we went back to the house, and everyone else went surfing again, while I sat in the peace and quiet and kept reading my Kindle !!

A quiet and relaxing day, but I do need to get some good wifi in order to be able to complete my banking and also get my blog up to date !  It is all written – I just need to upload it !

Pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0237Ubatuba2?authkey=Gv1sRgCNTZ67-Kg8O_rQE#

1 comment:

  1. Some great action shots on the wave! A new career beckons......?

    ReplyDelete