Wednesday 6 August 2014

0072 4th Aug - Todos Santos

Actually managed to lay in for a while this morning as it was a bit cloudy, and I managed to park under a palm tree that shaded me from any morning sun, so it was cool enough in the van to stay there. (It is normally the reflected heat on the canvas of the pop top which makes the morning heat unbearable in the van.) So I read my book, and enjoyed it until about 8.30 am !!  Luxury.

 
After a leisurely pack up and shower, it was about 10.30, so I decided to drive into town, look around, and if I liked it to stay and maybe come back to the same (only one in town !) camp site tonight if necessary.  The shower this morning was so good that I found myself quite enjoying this little camp site and its occupants. Had a good chat with Pablo and he said this would be the coolest place around the area, so that helped persuade me too.

Parked and wandered around the old part of town – It really is quite a delightful little place.  The rest of Baja doesn’t really have much worth stopping for at this time of year – Its primary attractions are beaches and fishing -  so it was nice to find places of interest apart from those two. After finding the original Hotel California of Eagles fame, (founded 1947), and the bank, and exploring around some of the shops and old part of town, I found a lovely little restaurant called Los Adobes and asked if they a) had wifi that worked, b) if they had cold beer, and c) could I sit in there in a corner, drink beer have lunch, and work on my computer ?  As the answer to all 3 questions was yes, I took my spot, logged on, and had a cold beer !! And apart from an interruption for lunch I stayed till 4 pm – Made easier due to a lot of rain and lightning in the middle !  Very pleasant, had a delicious piece of sea bass for lunch (had fish ‘cos I don’t cook fish on the road as you have to store it (smell in my little fridge)), and got all my banking and phone charges sorted, and even got my blog up to date !!  Yay !!!!

After I left the restaurant, I drove around town, down to the beach (nice enough), and around some very nice areas as well as other more local ones.  In talking to the people in the camp site, large corporations are trying very hard to buy up land here and develop massive resorts, in much the same way as they have done in Cabo San Lucas just a few miles down the coast – I haven’t seen it yet so will reserve my opinion, but apparently it is just all resorts for the big tourist dollar.   Whereas Todos Santos is a really nice little low key town. 

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed my day of hanging around doing virtually no driving at all, and tomorrow will move round the coast to Cabo, and then back up to La Paz to catch the ferry across to Mazatlan on the mainland.

Pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0073TodosSantos?authkey=Gv1sRgCNq6m8zyz-T6Ag#

No comments:

Post a Comment