Thursday 21 August 2014

0085 18th Aug - Atlacholoaya to Tlaxcala

I mentioned last night that the camp site was down a little alley way in the back of this unpronounceable little village, way off the beaten track.  I find it hard to take pics when I am going in at night because I am not sure if I am going to the right place, and I am a bit stressed and tired by the end of the day on the roads here !  So if it is worthwhile, I start the next morning taking pics on the way out of the campsite – Did that this morning and you can see what I mean !  There is no what one would
normally risk going down such a laneway !  Even Tom Tom says “Limited map information” !!

It was only the small sign at the top of the lane that gave you any clue at all !!

And as for the motorcycles just in this area which have a trailer and then call themselves Taxis…..Words fail me !!

 Then it was off through Cuernavaca, headed eventually towards Puebla.  Not that far, but I decided to try and go on the non toll roads, through all the little villages, and while it was fun, it was S-L-O-W.  There is almost no open countryside out there at all – Just one village (with its own topes) after another.  Atlaxco was quite interesting, with old city walls still standing that you drove through. And the local (PITA) buses have a very suitable sign on the back about the 9298 deaths on the roads in the state so far this year – Most of them are caused by these buses and their brilliant driving !!

And all day we were climbing – Almost imperceptibly, but when I looked at my altimeter I suddenly realised we were over 2000 metres !!  No wonder Troopie was feeling a bit breathless until the turbo kicked in – And every time you went slow over a tope, no turbo, so it felt like she was failing ! Then the turbo would kick in and off we would go again …..until 200 yards up the road and the next tope !!

And beside the road, different areas have different things for sale.  Today were lots of colourful hammocks, and also model pigs, elephants, and various other animals – No, not pinyatas that you break, just , model animals of all sizes !!  I presume they do sell some !

Also lots of agriculture, corn in particular today. 

For the last biyt into Puebla I got on the toll road (couta) as I was sick of topes, and as it was getting late I didn’t want to be looking for camp sites in the dark.  As I came towards Puebla the sky blackened and just as I hit the edge of town (with skyscrapers !!) the heavens opened in such a way that instantly there was a foot of water in the streets, and even I didn’t like to drive on – Remember half these cars don’t even have wipers, let alone working ones !!  So I chickened out and pulled into a Pemex station for about half an hour, and tried to work out where I was trying to get there.  No Lat and Long coordinates tonight, so I was in trouble – It is almost impossible to drive, look for topes and traffic lights, and read a map and instructions all at the same time – Even for me !!  Anyway, set off looking for one camp site and following Tom Tom, and the roads got narrower and narrower and I was winding through some really out of the way streets !  The road suddenly opened into a big square with a church in it – But then I was plunged back into the back streets of wherever I was.  Somewhere in the region of Cholula and Tlaxcala, I think in hindsight.  At one point Tom Tom sent me into a kind of drainage tunnel under a main road – That was only 3 foot high !!  So Troopie had to use all her ability and climb a bank up onto the road !!  No problem.

Anyway, still bombing down the road, with darkness closing in (although fortunately the rain had slowed to a drizzle by now), when suddenly I saw a sign to “La Toledo” – That was the other camp site I had on my list !!  So without hesitating I followed those signs with relief, and once again was winding through these narrow village streets. Every time I doubted my direction, I asked someone, and they all said “Si Si” and pointed ahead, so I kept going.   Suddenly I came to these enormous gates with guards on, and asked “Se puedo acampar aqui ?”  and they smiled and said “Si Si” and opened the gates for me.  I was so relieved as I didn’t have a clue where I was, and was starting to get just a little concerned as it got dark.  Anyway, the guards sent me up the hill to a magnificent building where I paid 60 pesos (about $4.50) for the night, and was sent back down to the guards, one of whom actually jumped in to show me where to go for camping !  It is an enormous place, and even the guard got lost a couple of times, but eventually we found a spot for me (they initially thought I was going to sleep in a tent, and showed me this area I couldn’t get the car to !!  But when I pointed to the car and said “Mi casa”, they understood.  By now it was raining again, and it was cold, so I quickly set up camp, cooked some noodles inside the van, and turned in.  Did need my sleeping bag (instead of just a sheet) for the first time in a few weeks – It was cool !! About 10 degrees C – And not surprising, as I was still up at 2200 metres.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment