Saturday 16 August 2014

0083 - A slow day in Acapulco



We had a thunderstorm and a half last night – certainly the heaviest rain and wind I have encountered on the trip so far.  Those of you who know me and my habits will understand that I spent quite a bit of the night checking for leaks around the van, and making sure everything was OK !!  Answer ?  Yup – All my work in making that fly sheet to surround the pop top worked !  It could be stretched a little tighter but that’s a minor point – We were rocking and rolling in the wind last night, and I lived – dry – to tell the tale !!



It is so pleasant here, and since it has good wifi, and I need to find out more about open (as against “closed for the low season”) camp sites.  So I spent the day doing some things on the car, including greasing the rear suspension and prop shafts (mucky job, under the car !), and even cleaning it a bit.  Also re-sorted a lot of the boxes after 3 or 4 weeks of being on the road, and then spent a lot of the afternoon on the internet trying to find some camp sites !!

Free camping is not easy here – At least not on the route I have been on.  Even if you just want to stop and make a tortilla for lunch, every shady spot has a Mexican sitting there, every nice lay-by beside the road already has a makeshift restaurant set up there, and every spare piece of ground that is worthwhile has someone living on it !!  And those that are not any of the above had had rubbish tipped there !!  So finding a nice empty field is not always easy !! Anyway, am slowly working out the system !

Also managed to sort out a lot of my supplies, and work out what I need to shop for tomorrow, an then the day was gone and the sun was going down !  So a few pics of the famous Acapulco sunset, a quick supper, and it is time for bed.

Plan is to hit the road in the morning, but if it is raining or I don’t feel like it, I might just stay here one more day.  The lady who runs the site is lovely – Rafaela – And she opened here in 1968, for the Mexico Olympics.  She reckons she has been the only camp site here for some time, so when I told her Janet and I were here in 1972, she said she is sure we must have stayed with her !!  I wonder !
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment