Monday 11 August 2014

0078 10th Aug - Puerto Vallarta

I decided to stay around Puerto Vallarta and have a lazy day today.  It wasn’t too hot,  and I got some good early shade from the palm trees I was under, so it was actually a pleasant morning.  And the shower was almost too cold !!

Went down to do a shop for supplies, and after doing that, I left the car in the shaded car park and went over to check out a big Mall.  Nice and cool inside, so I went into Starbucks, and sat and had a coffee and did some emails on my phone.

By now it was about noon, so I jumped in the car and drove south down the coast, out of Nueve Vallarta which is all a bit OTT, and found the original Vallarta – And its gorgeous.  Old cobbled streets (and very bumpy too), and the beach front was no vehicles, so I parked in a little alley way and spent an hour or two just wandering on the beach front. There are some lovely restaurants and bars down there, some US based (like Bubba Gump’s !), and others very local – Quite a nice mix.   Most tourists there now are Mexicans, and especially today, being a Sunday, it was quite busy. 

So having explored the old town a bit, I then went a bit further south, where there are lots more resorts and apartments for rent – All a little bit like the South of France maybe 20 years or more ago, with the road winding along the cliffs above the beaches !  Very interesting.

I didn’t find any better camp sites along the way, so I came back to mine from last night, and got a few chores done around the car.  Also had to wash all the veggies in a disinfectant to keep a rumbly tummy at bay !!

Later, a US caravan pulled in, and ended up chatting to the owner, Mike, who is on his way down to Panama where he intends to live and learn Spanish.  So had a pleasant evening with him, then cooked a quick meal and hit the hay.  At least there is no loud music tonight !!

Some pics of old Puerto Vallarta here https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0079PuertoVallarta?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSureC-2PO6xQE#

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying some of your culinary delights from your Mexican leg and I'm glad you're taking health precautions in your food preparation, especially the vegetable-based ones. You can't be too careful. Well, actually Yucan ;)
    I'm visualising the menu ....Nachos Napisan, Dusted Duck con oranges, Filtered Filter-Fish Fricassee.( sorry, I'll put my teeth in and try to say it again). Motezuma's Revenge Averted.
    I've read a Reuters article about police looking for a demented gringo in Mexico stabbing young children with pins with strange animals on them. Is that you?
    xx J

    ReplyDelete