Friday 8 August 2014

0076 - 8th Aug - Topolobampo to Mazatlan

I woke up at about 6, and found that right behind us it the kind of village sewer !!  Luckily not too smelly as it was quite cool, although the local dogs and cats as well as chickens all run free round there !!

Anyway, breakfasted and had a cup of tea before Mark and Bri woke up, and then after a few photos of our location, we set off down the road.  Mark and Bri want to get some miles under their belt so they intend to use the faster toll road, while I decide to wander on the “free” road.

Los Mochis seems to be a pretty industrial town, so got out of there as fast as possible.  There’s a lot more traffic on the mainland than on Baja !!! Out into the country, and everything is certainly a lot greener and wetter over here too !  Even got water in the rivers.  Not really a lot to see on the way – Drove through the middle of Culiacan and this is quite a big city – I think I am going to freak out when I see Mexico City !! 

Ran my second red light today – and as last time managed to avoid all cross traffic !!  The put the lights in different places, sometime beside the road, sometime hanging over the junction, sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right – So you never know quite where to look – While simultaneously looking for topes and Alto signs !  The first red light I ran a couple of days ago I just didn’t see until I was half way across the intersection !  Whoops.    The one today was different – 3 or 4 junctions just had flashing amber traffic lights, which means we slowed down and then went across the junction.  Then the next one decides it is going to turn red – And I wonder why I am suddenly bombing up the road by myself !!  Anyway, survived it OK !!

When they put topes in the little villages, the locals all gather at the topes offering to sell drinks, corn, food etc as the cars all slow down.   At one tope a guy standing beside the road saw the ‘roos on my car and just called out “How’s it goin’ ?” in an Aussie accent !!   So funny – In the middle of nowhere !!

Finally get into Mazatlan about 3 pm, and find one camp site at the northern end of town.  There are supposedly 5 or 6 camp sites, so I decide to go for a wander to look for them, and to have a look at Mazatlan.  Janet and I passed through here in our old Plymouth back in about 1972, and I thought it was just a small sleepy fishing village.  No more – It is like downtown Surfers Paradise with wall to wall hotels, motels, restaurants, bars, night clubs, beaches etc etc.  It seems to be where Mexican’s come for their holidays, and was pretty well packed.  Amazing.  Anyway, I found 3 of the other campsites, and all were closed – like derelict closed – So after an hour or two wandering around, I went back to the first one and checked in.  As they had laundry and wifi etc, I managed to get washing done, cook my supper, have a chat to Damien and Poppie (who are in Queensland with Janet for a few days) on skype, and now am getting my blog up to date.

Think I am going to keep heading south tomorrow, down the coast to Puerta Vallarta.  Slowly trying to work out whether to go to Mexico City and then up to the Yucatan before head down to Guatemala – Not sure yet. 

Pics here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0077TopolobampoToMazatlan?authkey=Gv1sRgCNvbj6PenonCHA#
 

No comments:

Post a Comment