Tuesday 26 August 2014

0090 25th Aug - Isla Aguarda to Tuxtla Gutierrez

Wow - What a day !!   Left the Isla Aguarda camp site and thought I had about a 4 or 5 hour drive up into the mountains.  10 hours later, in the growing darkness, I arrive in the big city of Tuxtla Gutierrez, having seen beautiful seas of the Gulf of Mexico, an enormous oil fire, the never ending banana growing plantations of the lowlands north of Villahermosa, had an amazing mountain climb on twisty roads only to find that in one village, I think it was Pichulalco, the villagers had blocked off the road and had banners and sticks and were demanding a fee to pass through (cost me 100 pesos, to many whoops of glee from the largely toothless throng !!).  After that excitement, I spent the rest of the day climbing through clouds to over 2000 metres, seeing some incredible views, and generally having just an amazing drive.

Unfortunately it was getting dark when I arrived in TG, and there was a traffic jam (a truck had tipped over !!), so I spent an hour or so wandering around trying to find the hotel where I knew you could camp in their car park.  Suddenly found it, much to my relief, and got set up and went straight to bed, exhausted.

Now its off to the border so I can cross into Guatemala tomorrow.  Need to get moving and pooter battery running out, so brief entry today (sighs of relief all round) but I just wanted to get this posted up before I head off into the void........

Pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/117739775480775657932/0091IslaAguardaToTuxtlaGutierrez?authkey=Gv1sRgCLv4waXUw4TsVg#

1 comment:

  1. Yup, spoke by mobile to the leader of the ransom group who told me that he needed 500 pesos in exchange for the freedom of " Gringo 1". I said I'd get back to him when I had more time as I was doing my nails. He sounded disappointed.
    Great scenery shots....truly spectacular. Did I see my vulture off the leash? Please don't lose it.
    Look forward to hearing from Guatemala.
    Hasta la vista. J&S

    ReplyDelete